History and Cultural Life

The present generation has no knowledge about the name of the town long before the arrival of the Spaniards. The town of Ayungon derived from two words AYUNG a name of a person and DUNGON a name of a tree. The incident in which the town got its name happened this way.
When the first Spaniard come to this place, he saw a man on the way cutting a tree. The Spaniard said, “What is the name of the place?” This was spoken in Spanish which the man did not understand.
The man responded, “Ayung”, for he thought that the new comer wanted to know his name. Since the answer was not very clear to the Spaniard he inquired again by asking the same question. The man answered “Dungon”, for he thought again that the Spaniard was asking the name of the tree he was cutting.
From the two words the Spaniard heard which were not clear to him he thought the place is Ayungon by joining Ayu and ngon. From that time on until now the town has been called Ayungon.
The absence of records and the failure of memory the dates of establishment of the town is not known. The founder of the town is also unknown for the same reason. Ayungon became a barrio of Tayasan few years after the arrival of the Americans.
As far as known the following were the leading officials of the town during the Spanish rule:
1. Franciso Elmaco ———————- 1870-1872
2. Almadeo Ella —————————- 1872-1874
3. Nicolas Emperado ——————- 1875-1878
4. Elezergio Deguit ———————– 1879-1881
5. Valeriano Taburaza —————— 1882-1885
6. Agustin Dayday ———————— 1886-1889
7. Agustin Martinez ——————— 1890-1892
8. Juan Pinero —————————– 1893-1897
9. Isisdro Ruiz —————————– 1898-1899
These people served as capitan municipal.
The following were the Cabeza de Barangay:Fernando Didal,Ignacio Imberador, Domingo Dayahan, Agaton Dayapdapan, Ambrocio Taburaza, Dionisio Dayupay, Leoncio Reduble, Isidro Depillo, Clemente Elnaco, Domingo Deguit, Anecito Narciso and Felipe Emperado.
The Cura Parroco were Rev. Father Eusebio Valderama and Rev. Father Setorio, Rev. Father Teodorico Lungca who died in this place, Rev. Macario Ga, Rev. Father Emiliano Pardo, Rev. Father Waja, Rev. Father Santos, Rev. Claudio Magbanua, Rev. Father Antonio Manigo, Rev. Father Gotera, Rev. Father Morante and Rev. Father Pinero.
The known teachers of long ago were Macario, a man from bohol, Jose Gonzales, Mareiana Dayagdag, Pascual Romanio, Claudio Onayan, Ana Castanilla, Martin Gonzales and Lazaro Segura.
While Ayungon was a barrio of Tayasan, it was agreed among the prominent men of Tayasan and Ayungon that the officials of the town of Tayasan must be shared equally between the two places so that when a man from Tayasan is elected president the vice-president must be from Ayungon and vise versa. Pablo Tiongco was once a president of Tayasan and Buenaventura Borromeo was once a vice president of the municipality of Tayasan.
Ayungon was under Tayasan for twenty thre years. The town of Ayungon was founded in 1924 through the efforts of the following prominent men: Mr. Pablo Tiongco, Buenaventura Borromeo, Benito Sanches, Apolonio Deguit, Gregorio Emperado, Esteban Mahinay, Salvador Emperado, Victoriano Embalsado, Ireneo Pael, Isidoro Mahinay, Nicolas Calumba, Juan Taburaza, Raymundo Pastor, Basilio Villegas and Antera Romano.
This town was formally established in 1924 when Governor General Leonard Wood came purposely to see the place and appointed the temporary officials through the recommendation of the Provincial governor Enrique Villanueva. The following were the officials appointed by the Governor-General Leonard Wood; Benito Sanches as president and Timoteo Perez as Vice President and the following were the councilors: Apolonio Deguit, Nicolas Calumba, Juan Taburaza, Basilio Revelegia and Sulpicio Tiengo.
The convention headed by the Provincial Governor which was held for the purpose of choosing the real officials, the following came out: Benito Sanches as president and Apolonio Deguit as vice-president. Basilio Villegas took the place of Apolonio Deguit as councilor. The other councilors appointed were also chosen by the conventionests.
Benito Sanches was not able to finish the term because he died before the expiration of the term so that Apolonio Deguit the vice president took the place as president of the town. On the election of 1928, Julian Villanueva was elected as president and Juan Tabaraza as Vice President.
Julian Villanueva held the position until 1941. After Julian Villanueva, Maximo Enardecido with Juan Taburaza as vice president headed the town until 1950. The vice mayorship of Juan Taburaza was interrupted only for one term when he retired in politics and gave way to a young man Baldomero Emperado. On the election of 1951, Juan Taburaza won with Macario Martinez as vice mayor.
The justices of the peace who served in the municipality of Ayungon were Zacarias Alo, Vicente Parras and now we have Joaquin Montenegro as our Justice of the Peace.
The municipal secretaries since the time of Benito Sanches to the present were Demetrio colongon, Maximo Enardecido, Joselyn Barraquias, and Lorenzo Ruiz the present incumbent.
The treasurers were the following: Pedro Camseko, Mr. Malanog, Roman Adanza, Matelde Remollo, Areadio Lariosa, Felix Fontelo, Magdaleno Catalbas, and Filomeno Barrica, the present treasurer.
The position of the chief of police since the time of Benito Sanches to this time is occupied by Feliciano Alberto.
During the Spanish regime the town plaza was located at the beach. To this time we can still see the ruins of the old municipal building and the church. The present town plaza was established during the latter part of the Spanish rule. The reason for its transfer was due to the most terrible flood that occurred ever since. The ruins of the Spanish buildings in the present poblacion site could no longer be seen for the people removed.
The latter part of the Spanish regime was marked by a terrible epidemic of smallpox which took away almost two thirds of the people of Ayungon. It was so terrible and mournful that the houses had got to be burned. There were no enough persons available to bury the dead.
During the World War II almost every activity stood still for the people of the lowlands went to the mountains to hide. They were afraid of the savage soldiers of Japan.
The brutes and savages established their garrison in Ayungon with the house of Joaquin Lim as their headquarters. Before the Japanese landed in Negros most of the men in lowlands prepared bolos, daggers and other weapons but at the mention of Japanese patrol these weapons were made tails for they ran to the mountains.
Some Filipino soldiers paraded on the streets so bravely indeed, that many civilians were the victims of their cruelty. They boxed, kicked, shot and even tortured civilians. Captain Eugenio Antonio headed these soldiers. When the Japanese came they were even faster than the manatad. They fled to the mountains. The soldiers made the civilians worked on rice fields, building headquarters, carry bars of soaps and sacks of salt to Negros Occidental.
Ilawod is famous for skulls and skeletons of human beings for the brutes tortured and killed the captured Filipino soldiers and civilians in this place. To this day the remains of the victims are visible.
The people of Ayungon were honoured by the passing visit of Governor-General Teodoro Roosebelt, Jr. The governor stopped a while to greet the people who were waiting for him. This incident was climaxed by a Fandango of the Governor-General and the old woman Capitana Tiray.
The period from 1896-1900 was one of a relief to the people for the Americans brought to them a life of freedom but the period from 1941 to 1945 was a time utmost suffering for the freedom brought by the Americans were grabbed by the invaders. Houses were burned, many were tortured and killed, farms were abandoned. Many died of famine and malaria.
After the war the Americans rehabilitated the town by giving the people money as war damages. The town was a recipient of a new semi-permanent school building, a shop and home Economics building.